Sunday, March 10, 2013

Parc Güell

Parc Güell is a garden complex with architectural elements situated on a hill of El Carmel in the Gracía district of Barcelona.  It was designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí and built from the years 1900- 1913.  The park was originally part of an unsuccessful housing site the idea of Count Eusebi Güel.  It has since been converted into a municipal garden.
I did not make it to Parc Güell until the 6th weekend of me being abroad.  The first two weekends that I was here, I was suffering from extreme jet lag and was not able to leave my apartment each day until 4pm.  When I finally arrived at this amazing architectural element, I could not believe the intricate details and time that was put into creating each and every inch of this park.  From the colored pieces of glass found on each statue such as the dragon is comparable to nothing that I have ever seen before.  The craftsmanship of the ceiling of the building was gorgeous. The curving benches, in the shape of a sea serpent, in the park area was something that caught my attention right when I saw it.  This is where groups of people gather to take pictures, engage in conversations, and appreciate the gorgeous view overlooking the entire city of Barcelona.  The placement of everything within this park was incredibly technical, detailed, and well thought out.

When it is nice and the sun is out, many people gather here to play games in the park.  There are many different levels and areas that were incredibly fun and interesting to explore. After being there for a second time, I was able to explore the park at a new level and fell in love with it once again.  Its beauty continues to intrigue me.
When my family comes to visit me, I plan on definitely bringing them here to this amazing place.  Anyone who has visited Parc Güell for their first time is just as smitten by its intricate detail as I was.  After visiting here, it has given me a greater interest and appreciation in seeing the rest of Gaudís buildings all over Barcelona.  His architecture and style, continuously surprises me each and every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment