Monday, April 22, 2013

My Neighborhood: l'Eixample Dreta

I live in the l'Eixample Dreta district in Barcelona, Spain on Passeig de Sant Joan.  In Catalan, Eixample means the extension.  This is the district between Ciutat Vella (old city) and Gracia.  It is the area to the right of Passeig de Gracia.  It is in walking distance of central Place Catalunya and La Sagrada Familia.  This is the area to which modernism was born.  It was considered to be a new form of architecture, and new way from the medieval style.  This area was built in the mid-19th century when the old town area started to reach maximum capacity.  The first homes were build at the intersection of Consell de Cent and Roger de Lluria.  This area was designed by Cerdá who was an engineer and urban planner.  The streets broaden at every intersection to provide enhanced visibility and more space for short term parking.  Passeig de Sant Joan is one of the main avenues in the Eixample district.  It from from the lower end of Barrio Gracia to the Arc del Triumph.  There are a variety of way of transportation everywhere from buses, trains, taxi's, to even my own two feet.  This neighborhood has so much to offer from a public library, a hospital, a public market, a flower store, and so much more.
This neighborhood has made my abroad experience the most amazing it could have possibly been. Living in a residential area, at night the streets are incredibly quite and safe.  I would not be afraid to walk through the streets at any given hour of the day or night.  My favorite thing to do is explore.  Walking through the streets and finding cute cafes and restaurants to try gets more and more exciting.  My favorite places in the neighborhood are Creyon Cafe, which I go to at least once a day, and Dow Jones Bar.
There are so many things that I am going to miss about this city, and so many things that I am never going to forget.  I have made life time friendships and memories that will stay with me forever.  Barcelona has become my home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment